The Pros and Cons of Palm Trees in Ocean County
Do you want your yard to look like an oasis? Or maybe like a tropical escape? The best tree to bring this kind of appeal to your yard is the palm tree. Palm trees are typically associated with tropical and warm regions, but there are many species of palm tree that can weather a great deal of different climates.
If you want to build up some great tropic appeal you should consider a palm tree. Palm trees are amazing at completing a full and interesting landscaping job with very few elements.
What are the pros and cons of planting palm trees?
- Interesting look - Palm trees have a distinct look that can really make an impression. They elicit the feeling of getting away to exotic and warm locations.
- Storm resistant - Palms are great at standing up to powerful winds. If you are looking for plant options that will power through straight line winds and stay standing, a palm is your best bet.
- Provides instant landscaping - Palm trees have an appeal that can transform a patch of dirt into a oasis instantly. They are some of the only trees that work well alone without other elements and still deliver a complete and planned look.
- Care - Palms do not require much in terms of direct nutrition and care. There is not much attention you need to give to the palm tree aside from the trimming.
- Maintenance – Palm trees require some maintenance. Smaller trees can be easy to do on your own, but larger palm trees may require professional assistance. This can become costly over time.
- Sensitive to cold – Palm trees are sensitive to cold environments. A few species of palm can withstand a cold winter but many others can be permanently damaged by a single cold night. It is wise to do research on your area and the kinds of palms that can survive in your local climate. There are sites that can help you find what best suits your region.
When buying a palm tree the price depends on the particular tree and the height of the tree you select. A short palm can cost as little as $77. If you want a fully grown tree, those can potentially cost up to $800.
The ongoing cost of owning palm trees is found in trimming and maintenance. Palm tree maintenance can be done by yourself, but it is safer and easier to hire professionals to take care of the job. One of the major contributing factors to trimming costs is the height of the tree. Trees shorter than 30 feet can range between $75 and $400 to trim properly, while larger trees range from $200 and $1200. Unkempt trees will cost more to trim. If a tree is maintained regularly each trimming will cost less.
Ready to start Landscaping?